A solution that saved the manufacturer $10,500 / year in maintenance costs!
Reprinted from NinjaTek™ Case Studies
Prevent material from plugging the oxygen control flapper, across 9 material vacuum transfer systems.
3D print a custom self-retaining screen to be inserted upstream before the controller using NinjaFlex® flexible 3D printing filament.
3D Printing Strategy:
- A rigid solution would require an o-ring or gasket, while Ninjaflex®filament allows the screen to be an exact fit.
- A press fit screen negates the need for screws to secure the screen in place.
Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) Material:
- Ninjaflex® filament is a TPU filament, which is what the vacuum system was transferring.
- Using the same material as what is used in the vacuum system prevents any cross-contamination.
- Prevented future maintenance time required to unclog and clean the oxygen control flapper.
- A quick and inexpensive solution compared to designing and manufacturing the part externally, totaling $400 for 9 prints.
- 2 mechanics @ $25.25/hr = $50.50
- 4 hours of maintenance time per week = 208 weeks
- $10,504 / year in maintenance costs
Key Printing Settings:
- Fill %: 100%
- Nozzle: 0.5mm
- Retraction: none
- Print temp: 235°C
- Time for 1 screen: 1 hour
- Layer height: 0.2mm